The Hawkesbury area is one of Australia's best kept secrets. Nestled between rolling, green pastures and magnificent mountain ranges, it offers a serene balance of suburban and rural elements.
The Hawkesbury has the best of both worlds, conveniently located only one hour north-west of the Sydney CBD, but also within close proximity to thriving farm-lands and the beautiful Blue Mountains.
The Hawkesbury has something to offer everyone, and with our breadth of experience and knowledge of the local area, Speechley Property looks forward to finding the perfect property for you.
The historic township of Windsor, originally known as 'Greenhills” and one of the five 'Macquarie Towns', is approx 60 kms North-West of Sydney in the local government area of the City of Hawkesbury. It was the 3rd oldest place of British settlement in Australia when established in 1791.
Windsor covers a small area of approx 4.2 sq kms bounded by Rickaby's Creek and the Hawkesbury River to the west, South Creek to the East - the confluence of which is the Northern 'boundary' and the Southern extremity is the Sydney-Richmond electric rail line.
There are approximately 620 dwellings in Windsor, housing a population of approx 1700, which surround the central commercial area. Shops are generally small, owner operated retail outlets with a Coles supermarket at the southern end, a Woolworths at the other and a Target Country store in between. The central pedestrian mall in the heritage precinct is host to the popular Windsor Mall Craft Market on Sundays and draws large crowds from far and wide - www.windsormallcraftmarket.com.au
Health services are provided by a large regional hospital, two large medical practices and a number of smaller general and specialist practices. There are two primary schools, three churches of different denominations, a number of parks and a post office. A popular tourist destination, Windsor is also home to the Sebel Resort and Golf Course.
Windsor has a number of original buildings, including the Francis Greenway designed St Matthew's Anglican Church, which was consecrated in 1822. Others of note are Windsor Court House, The Thompson Square Precinct, Tebbutt's Observatory and Sunnybrae in Kable Street.
Residential homes range from modest cottages to larger, more expensive homes and a number of older, heritage listed properties. Home prices can range from around $400,000 to $700,000, with a few sales exceeding $1,000,000. In 2012, the median sale price was $480,000.
In the far South-East corner of the City of Hawkesbury, Bligh Park was established in 1984, as a joint venture between Landcom and Hawkesbury City Council, to provide a new residential estate close to Windsor.
The suburb is named after William Bligh and all the streets are names after the ships and people on the First Fleet.
Approximately 5km south of Windsor, Bligh Park is bounded by George Street, Rifle Range Road, Blacktown-Richmond Road and the Windsor Downs Wildlife Sanctuary. It has a small shopping centre which includes an IGA supermarket, a bakery, newsagent, butcher and 2 or 3 takeway/eat-in food outlets as well as a busy medical practice. There are 2 primary schools, a number of childcare centres, 2 community centres and 2 large sporting complexes, one of which houses the fully licensed Windsor Leagues Club.
Bligh Park has approx 3000 dwellings and a population in excess of 6000 at the last census.
The suburb has good, direct road access to Windsor, Richmond, Penrith, Blacktown and also to the junction of the M7 for travel to all destinations North and South.
Property prices range from around $300,000 for a duplex unit to $500,000+ for a large 4 bedroom home. The median sale price in 2012 was $390,000.
Glossodia is a semi-rural suburb, approximately 68 km north-west of Sydney and 13 km from Windsor, in the City of Hawkesbury council district and covers an area of approximately 16m2.
Originally called Currency Creek, the area was renamed Glossodia, in the early 1900's, after a small purple orchid which grows in the district. Glossodia has approximately 950 properties which are a blend of residential allotments and small to medium acreage properties. The area has a population of approximately 3000.
With all properties on tank water, growth in the area was restricted until the provision of town water in 1984, allowing lawns and gardens to be upgraded and the appearance of the village to be improved. As larger homes were built and property prices moved upwards, Glossodia became more attractive to property buyers and the population grew significantly through the '80's and early '90's. As a result, the council constructed a small neighbourhood shopping centre, a child care centre and a new community centre, The old school on Creek Ridge Road, approx 2kms from the village, was also relocated to new premises next to the shops in 1990. The '40 acres' reserve known as Woodbury Reserve was also upgraded to improve the sporting facilities available to local residents.
In the past few years, the shopping centre has been extended and the playing fields further improved and 2012 saw the long awaited sewerage scheme introduced. All of which has improved the amenities of the area and helped to increase real estate prices.
Because of the diversity of property types, median pricing is misleading. However, as a guide, in late 2012, homes on residential allotments range from low $300,000's to in excess of $400,000 while acreage properties sell from mid-$500.000's to well over $1m.
Glossodia is also home to the Sydney Guide Dog Centre, where guide and companion dogs are raised and trained.
Although the area was settled around 1794 for general farming, the 'township' of Pitt Town was not established until 1810 as one of the five 'Macquarie Towns' by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. The village is named after the British Prime Minister, William Pitt.
Pitt Town is approximately 59 kms north-west of Sydney and 5km north east of Windsor in the Hawkesbury City council area. There are approximately 450 properties (but increasing with the development of the Pitt Town Residential Precinct) housing a population of approximately 1500.
Until recently the shopping centre comprised the basics of a small supermarket, butcher, takeaway, a tavern and service station but recent extensions have increased the number of shops considerably so the area is largely 'self sufficient'. Additionally, a modern, new doctor's surgery also opened during 2012. Pitt Town also has a well regarded primary school, a child care centre, 2 churches and 2 licensed clubs - Pitt Town 'Sporties' and Lynwood Country Club and Golf Course.
Items of interest in the Pitt Town area include Pitt Town Nature Reserve, Pitt Town Lagoon, Longneck Lagoon, Scheyville National Park and Brinsley Park Oval.
Pitt Town is a popular village, where residential properties change hands for prices from $400,000 upwards.
South Windsor is located in the South Eastern corner of the Hawkesbury City Council area, the largest local government area in New South Wales and is 60 kms North West of Sydney.
The area of South Windsor is generally bounded to the North by the Sydney-Richmond rail line, to the South by the suburb of Bligh Park, to the east by South Creek and Windsor Downs and to the West by Rickaby's Creek.
Access to Sydney is readily available, with direct electric rail and easy road access, via Windsor or Richmond/Blacktown Roads, to the M7, M2 and M4 Motorways.Travelling time is around 1 hour. Local bus companies, Westbus and Hawkesbury Valley provide public and school buses for the area.
With approximately 3000 residential properties, South Windsor also has a light industrial area providing employment in many fields and a busy shopping strip with an award winning chemist, butcher, fruit and vegetable retailer, newsagency, medical practices, hairdressers and many other popular businesses to meet your daily needs. The larger retail areas of Windsor and Richmond are within 10 minutes drive and Penrith, Castle Hill and Rouse Hill centres are around 20 - 25 minutes.
Homes in the area range from smaller units and villas to medium sized homes and a few smaller acreage properties around the fringe. Schools include South Windsor Public, Chisholm Catholic Primary and Bede Bolding College (Catholic High School), as well as a number of pre-schools and day care centres. Sporting facilities include the Oasis Swim Centre, Hawkesbury Indoor Centre, Hawkesbury Netball Complex and Windsor Country Golf Club.
Wilberforce was established in 1810 and is one of the 5 “Macquarie Towns" decreed by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. The town is named after William Wilberforce, a prominent British politician and philanthropist of the time.
Modern-day Wilberforce retains few buildings of historical significance. Those still standing include the 1820 schoolhouse, and St John's Anglican Church, designed by Edmund Blacket. Rose Cottage (1811-16) is the oldest timber house in Australia still standing on its original site, which now forms part of the Australiana Pioneer Village at the entrance to Wilberforce. As well as Rose Cottage, the Village which opened in 1970, contains a number of historic buildings from the surrounding area which were physically transported to the site.
The township is approx 5kms North of Windsor and has just under 1000 dwellings and a population of approximately 3000. The village area has town water and was recently connected to the sewer.
Properties in Wilberforce vary from small fibro cottages, though modern brick 3 or 4 bedroom homes on mainly 1000m2 ( 1/4 acre approx) residential blocks to larger homes on semi-rural acres. Residential property prices are generally in the range of $350,000 to $500,000+, while acreage properties often bring prices in excess of $1,000,000.
Windsor Downs is a small, exclusive acreage estate of 350 allotments which was developed on 'Jericho Farm' from 1989/90. The last lot was sold in 1995. Windsor Downs is situated in the far south-eastern corner of the Hawkesbury council area, approximately 53 kms north-west of Sydney and 7kms to the south of Windsor.
'Jericho Farm' was part of a large land holding owned by British beef baron, Lord Vestey, owner of the Angliss meat empire and Riverstone meatworks. Lots in the subdivision are mainly 1 to 2 acres, with a few 5 and 10 acres and larger blocks on the fringe of the estate. In 1989, Council rezoned the adjoining RAAF communications station and this was subdivided into 5 acre lots and became part of Windsor Downs.
Interestingly, because of the connection with cattle raising, Hawkesbury Council approved a cattle ranch theme for the naming of streets in Windsor Downs, resulting in many being named after Australian cattle stations.
Population of Windsor Downs is approx 1300 and covenants on the land ensure homes built in the estate are large and aesthetically sound. Unusual for a semi-rural area, the estate is fully serviced. There are no shops in the estate but two service stations opposite provide convenience shopping for essentials.